Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Getting started

Left: James (6th grader) teaches chess to the younger kids.

In our After-School Academy (ASA) I ask our staff to keep "Kid Watching" journals. I've learned that when we really observe kids we will see some amazing things. Our ASA is no different.

I love what I hear as I ask for updates in our weekly staff meetings. By watching kids, we notice that some kids need more help with their alphabet. We have watched "high maintenance"/active kids help younger kids with their homework.
Right: Jasmine thinking about her next chess move.

I keep harassing the staff to make sure and write everything down so we can watch their development as the year progresses. (I'm begging Wyshina to write about her latest observation of Curtis and Michael's comic book creation! :) )

Our "kid watching" updates have evolved so that now they include interactions with parents, observations of other staff members, neat things that happened at the latest fundraiser, etc. Our ASA has developed into a little "family" of neat people and neat relationships. (hence the name of the blog!)

If you are a parent, staff, or volunteer at our ASA, please post your stories about the "meaningful relationships" that we are forming in the ASA. Tell us what you see. Share with us what you notice. And everyone (involved in the ASA or not), feel free to read what people have to say and comment on the posts.

We love what's going on at the ASA. We hope you do, too!!

1 comments:

Janet Morrison-Lane

I know you were wanting a group of focused kids who were really learning chess. I hope we are getting to that point! It seems like you have a pretty consistent base of kids this year. The progress looks great from an outside observers point of view. :)