Monday, October 05, 2009

cloudy with a chance of meatballs.



About a week ago, I read Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs to my class. They were amazed by the fact that someone wrote a book about "food weather". The book has sparked serious discussion about the possibility of it raining pizza. They all agreed that it would be pretty awesome if a huge pancake fell on their school and forced school to be closed for that day.

As a follow-up to our reading, we did an activity online. I taught my class how to check the weather across the United States. Niesha simply loved the activity. She taught her classmates how to read the temperature and even explained to them that the F following the degree sign means Fahrenheit. I believe she would make a wonderful meteorologist one day.


That friday, each teacher got to pick a student to go see the Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs movie in 3D at Studio Movie Grill. I picked Shamaria.

Shamaria is known for her smile and quiet disposition. However, during the movie Shamaria anxiously pointed out the similarities from the book. In fact, she talks about it everyday now.

I'm looking forward to having more experiences like this one.

1 comments:

Janet Morrison-Lane

I love that Shamaria is still talking about it! You might encourage Naisha to do some weather reporting by using the Flip videos & reporting what the weather is that day & her prediction for the following day. Then you/she could post it on the blog! She can start exploring meteorology careers. (Project idea!! :-) )