Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Silent Interview

On yesterday, I had my first sign language session in the library, from 3-3:30. I felt as though I set myself up for failure because at this time of day, the library goers are usually a bit antsy, and we get a group of kids from the ASA. The circle initally began with about 7 or 8 participants. We began working on the manual alphabet. I wasn't sure how many of the ladies were already familiar with it, so I started slow.

One of the youngest participants, Tatiana, was already having an off-day and had a not-so-good attitude. I lost her before I had even began--or so I thought. I was fearful that because she was unattentive; she wouldn't retain anything that we were working on.

Some distractions here, a parent pick-up there. Gradually the circle minimized. It was only 3 ladies left--Aneja, Trinity, and Tatiana. They worked on learning how to sign "What's your name?" and "My name is--." It was amazing to see that they had not only learned the entire manual alphabet, but also how to spell their names & each other's names in only a 30 minute session.

-Brittany Stubblefield

1 comments:

Janet Morrison-Lane

I love it! I especially love the comment about 3/4 of the way through the interview when someone says, "No one's talking!"

Great job! I can't wait to see more as they continue to develop their skills.

Oh...I should add that the girls in the video are 6 and 7 years old, right? Young kids learn so quickly! :)